About Viroqua Chamber Main Street
In 1989, the Viroqua Revitalization Association was formed to improve the business district and community of Viroqua. In August of that year, Viroqua was chosen as a Main Street Community, one of the first in Wisconsin to be granted this prestigious designation. The Main Street Program is focused on the principles of economic development set forth by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. In 1995, the Viroqua Revitalization Association joined forces with the Viroqua Chamber of Commerce and became “The Viroqua Chamber ~ A Main Street City”, commonly known as the Viroqua Chamber Main Street.
The Viroqua Chamber Main Street is a non-profit organization that is dedicated to enhancing the quality of life of the Viroqua community through leadership, facilitation and collaboration. The organization is focused on keeping Viroqua vibrant by strengthening the business community, preserving the history and beauty of the historic downtown district, supporting community-wide events throughout the year and providing resources to tourists visiting from all over the world.
Under the leadership of a Board of Directors and Executive Director, the Viroqua Chamber Main Street implements a comprehensive four-point approach to community revitalization: organization, design, economic restructuring and promotion. Each of the four points is represented by a committee of community volunteers ensuring Viroqua remains vibrant and strong.
The volunteer Board of Directors assumes the responsibility for overseeing the activities of the staff, while maintaining the organization’s overall direction, volunteer development and financial security.
- Student Scholarships
- Volunteer & Business Recognition Banquet
The Design Committee is focused on enhancing the physical appeal and attractiveness of the community. Creating an inviting, pedestrian- friendly atmosphere builds more than just a beautiful city, it creates community.
- Downtown Beautification Projects
- Viroqua Community Mural
- Lamp Post Flower Basket Project
- Historic Preservation
- Holiday Skyline Lights
The Economic Restructuring Committee is dedicated to retaining and expanding successful businesses by encouraging a balanced commercial mix, sharpening the competitiveness and skills of business owners and attracting new businesses the market can support.
- Business Recruitment & Retention
- Quarterly Breakfasts
- Business Education & Assistance
- Business Networking
- Alive After Five
The Promotion Committee is all about developing and refining a unified, quality image of Viroqua as the best place to live, work and play. Marketing the city’s unique characteristics through advertising, retail promotional activity, special events and marketing campaigns creates a positive image for the community.
- The Viroqua Farmers Market
- Viroqua Visitors Resource Center
- Downtown Sales Coordination
- Twinklefest Parade
The success of every Viroqua Chamber Main Street project revolves around volunteers. Dedicated individuals are welcome on the Promotion, Design & Economic Restructuring committees, Board of Directors, or for tasks related to individual projects and special events.
Board of Directors
- President: Jess Reed, Historic Temple Theatre
- President-Elect: Steve Campbell, Campbell Family Homes
- Treasurer: Peter Ruud, Associated Bank
- Secretary: Angie Dahl, Vernon Memorial Healthcare
- Lori Hemmersbach, Nelson Agri Center
- Randy Skinner, The Bon Ton Millinery Apartments
- Matthias Minnig, Mac Help
- Dr. Kehl Arnson, Viroqua Area Schools
- Tiffany Cade, Deep Rooted
- Laura Meeks, Southwest Sanitation
- Debra Abt, Walmart
- Simon Stumpf, Ashoka
- City Administrator: Nate Torres
- Mayor: Karen Mischel
- Executive Director: Nora Roughen-Schmidt
- Assistant to the Director: Caleb Walters
- Promotions Coordinator: Kollin Burckhardt
Contact Information114 S Main St, Viroqua, WI 54665