City Administrator – Job Posting
Viroqua, Wisconsin (pop. 4,500). The City of Viroqua is currently seeking a visionary and professional City Administrator. Viroqua is a vibrant and growing community looking for innovative, empowering and proactive municipal leadership. As a key representative of the City, the successful candidate will be understanding and compassionate of Viroqua as a diverse and unique community.
Viroqua is one of Wisconsin’s great small towns. Located in the beautiful Driftless region in southwest Wisconsin, high upon the ridgetop, approximately 20 mins from the Mississippi River and 45 minutes from LaCrosse, Wisconsin. Viroqua is the county seat and the center of Vernon County’s commerce, industry, government, entertainment, and healthcare.
As a community that continues to adapt and reinvent itself, Viroqua values and celebrates its agricultural history and long-standing community traditions while planning for and embracing its future. Tourism in Viroqua is thriving, known as a mecca for outdoor recreation, rich art and culture and nationally recognized farm fresh dining. The economy has a strong locally grown and value-added food system and offers an abundance of diverse health care and education options.
The City has 35 full-time and 15 part-time employees. These employees are a part of the Public Works, Police and Fire, Park and Recreation, and Administration Departments. The City is also responsible for the City Library, Airport, Golf Course and Cemetery. The annual City budget is approximately $5 Million in addition to $2 Million in Municipal Utilities. The City has 5 successful TID districts with another in development. Viroqua is financially sound with an A+ rating by Standard and Poor.
The ideal City Administrator would have:
- Bachelor’s degree in public administration (Master’s preferred) or a closely related field
- At least five years of increasingly responsible management experience in an executive position such as department head, assistant manager, city manager or administrator.
- A strong background in budgeting/municipal finance (including TIF experience)
- A high level of integrity with open and positive communication skills
- Experience with collaborative styles and consensus building
- Experience in community and economic development
- A history of stable tenures in previous positions
The City Administrator is appointed by the Mayor and nine-member Common Council. Starting salary range: $75,000-$90,000 DOQ.
Candidates should apply by December 14, 2018 with resume, cover letter and contact information for five work-related references to Mayor Karen Mischel at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please direct questions to Mayor Mischel at email@example.com or 608-606-2075.