CITY OF VIROQUA - Official Website Home > City of Viroqua > FAQs


Frequently Asked Questions PDF

Q. What are City Hall office hours?

A. Temporary hours are Monday through Thursday from 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM (except major holidays). Service on Fridays from Memorial Day to Labor Day during the summer will be by appointment only. Residents and visitors are encouraged to call or email as they normally would on this day. However, follow-up service will not occur until the following Monday.  Located at 124 West Decker Street.

Q. How many animals can I have and do I have to license them?

A. Every person who owns, keeps, or harbors a dog or cat must have it immunized against rabies and obtain a license from the City Treasurer each year. No person or unit living together may keep more than two dogs nor more than four cats over the age of five months. Dogs or cats are not permitted to run at large. When walking your dog or cat, animal excreta discharge on public or private property must be immediately removed by the walker. License fees are $3.00 for spayed/neutered and $8.00 for unaltered per animal.  There is a $5.00 late fee per license after March 31st each year.  Beginning 1/1/2019 there is a $25 fee to keep or harbor up to (6) chickens and yearly permits are required.  Contact City Hall or see Ordinance 18OR003 for details. 

Q. Where do I get a work permit?

Work permits can be obtained at the Vernon County Register of Deeds, 400 Courthouse Square Room 110. (608) 637-5371.

Q. When do I need to obtain a building permit?

A. If a person builds or installs a new building or alters a building in excess of $1000 value in any twelve month period, the person shall first obtain a building permit for such work from the building inspector. Alterations include items such as siding, roofing, fences, pools, HVAC, and electrical. Contact Chad Buros, Zoning Administrator at 608-637-3118 or [email protected] with additional questions.

Q. Night Parking November 15th – April 1st

A. Overnight parking is allowed on City streets at all times of the year EXCEPT in the instance of a “winter snow event” – which is defined as any instance in which there is snowfall of 1 ½ inches or more.  When the snowfall threshold is met, the Viroqua Public Works Department or Police Department will issue a city-wide notification via the Nixle emergency alert.   To sign-up for Nixle alerts, residents can simply send a text message with their zip code to phone number 888777.

City residents and guests are strongly encouraged to monitor weather forecasts and relocate their vehicles ahead of time if snowfall is expected to exceed 1 ½ inches.

Once a snow event has been declared, on-street parking will be prohibited in the downtown corridor between Decker and South Street, and Dunlap and Center Streets between the hours of midnight to 7 a.m.  OR until snow has been removed past the curb line to the sidewalk.  In all other areas outside of the downtown corridor, on-street parking is prohibited until that street or alley has been plowed and the snow has been removed to the curb line.

Q. When and where do I pay property taxes?

A. Taxes may be paid by December 31st each year at the City of Viroqua to take advantage of a deduction for the previous year’s income taxes. They may also be paid by January 31st each year without penalty or in two installments on January 31st and July 31st. The first payment must be made to the City of Viroqua if you choose the installment option; the second payment is made to the County Treasurer’s Office.

Q. Where can I pay my taxes after 4:30 P.M.?

A. Tax payments (and other payments) can be put in the “drop box” located in the side alley next to City Hall. Payments sent in the mail must be postmarked by due date or put in drop box by 7:30 A.M. the following day.

Q. When does the Common Council meet?

A. The Common Council has two regularly scheduled meetings each month. They meet the second and last Tuesday of every month at 7:00 PM at City Hall.

Q. Where do I pay my fine issued by Hidden Valleys Municipal Court?

A. Payments can be made at the Viroqua Police Department at 1130 Nelson Pkwy, Viroqua, WI 54665. (608)637-2121. To contact the Hidden Valleys Municipal Court Clerk with questions call (608)637-7186 Ext 301.

Q. What are the requirements for Board of Review?

A. Municipal Boards of Review must meet:

 Annually

 Anytime during the 30-day period beginning on the second Monday in May

Q. Requirements for citizens to appear before the Board of Review

A. No person shall be allowed to appear before the Board of Review, to testify to the Board by telephone or to contest the amount of any assessment of real or personal property if the person had refused a reasonable written request by certified mail of the assessor to view such property.

 After the first meeting of the Board of Review and before the Board’s final adjournment, no person who is scheduled to appear before the Board of Review may contact, or provide information to, a member of the Board about that person’s objection except at a session of the Board.

 No person may appear before the Board of Review, testify to the board by telephone or contest the amount of any assessment unless, at least 48 hours before the first meeting of the Board or at least 48 hours before the objection is heard if the objection is allowed under sub. (3) (a), that person provides to the Clerk of the Board of Review notice as to whether the person will ask for removal under sub. (6m), and if so which member will be removed and the person’s reasonable estimate of the length of time that the hearing will take.

 When appearing before the Board, the person shall specify, in writing, the person’s estimate of the value of the land and of the improvements that are the subject of the person’s objection and specify the information that the person used to arrive at that estimate.

 No person may appear before the Board of Review, testify to the Board by telephone or object to a valuation; if that valuation was made by the assessor or the objector using the income method; unless the person supplies to the assessor all the information about income and expenses, as specified in the manual under s. 73.03 (2a) that the assessor requests. The municipality or county shall provide by ordinance for the confidentiality of information about income and expenses that is provided to the assessor under this paragraph and shall provide exceptions for persons using the information in the discharge of duties imposed by law or of the duties of their office or by order of a court. The information that is provided under this paragraph, unless a court determines that it is inaccurate, is not subject to the right of inspection and copying under s. 19.35(1).

Q. Are there economic development funds available for a new or existing business?

A. Currently there are Revolving Loan funds available for business loans through Rural Development. Contact the City Clerk’s Office at 608-637-7154 Ext 311 for further details. The City of Viroqua is an equal opportunity provider.

Q. How do I reserve a park shelter?

A. Reservations are accepted on a first come/first serve basis each calendar year. The fee to reserve is listed in our fee schedule. Contact City Hall for availability.

Public Works FAQs

Q. How do I dispose of yard waste and brush?

A. City residents may take yard waste and brush to the drop-off site off Lewison Road. A key to the site may be signed out at City Hall between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Public Works employees also pick up these items on Fridays throughout the City but lengths and weight limits apply. See City Brush policy.

Q. How soon must property owners remove snow from their sidewalks?

A. Property owners have 24 hours after a snowfall to remove the snow from their sidewalks.

Q. Will the City locate my property corners?

A. The City of Viroqua does not assist private property owners in locating property irons, surveying private property, or locating property lines between properties. A property corner, property corner monument (iron), or property line can ONLY be determined or verified by a survey performed by a Licensed Land Surveyor.

Q. What are the rules regarding lawn length?

A. City ordinance states that lawns cannot exceed 8″ in length. The Police Department can issue written notices to property owners to have grass or lawn cut to comply with this ordinance. If there is no compliance, the City will cut the grass/lawn at the expense of the property owner.

Q. How can I get a tree planted on my boulevard?

A. The City plants trees on boulevards if funding is available, the most-needed areas for planting is determined by the Viroqua Tree Board. Citizens may plant a tree on their boulevard (purchased by themselves) if it is a tree that is on the approved tree list and have obtained City approval. Contact City Hall for the list of approved trees and process for approval.

Q. When do I need a street opening permit?

A. Anytime you are digging in the street right-of-way. For example: any curb disturbance, driveway excavation, sidewalk repair/replacement or other utility work.

Q. What do I do with leaves and grass clippings from my yard?

A. In the fall of the year the leaf vac will come and pick up leaves and grass clippings in the City. All other times of the year they must be put in containers or hauled to the compost site. Nothing can be raked into the street until the fall collection. If you have questions as to when the leaf vac is out contact City Hall.

Water & Sewer FAQs

Q. We purchased a new water softener and need to know the hardness of the water.

A. The average hardness of the water in Viroqua is 230 parts per million, which equates to 13.3 grains of hardness.  Other water softeners settings would be “very hard”.

Q. How many gallons are in 100 Cubic Feet?

              A.  748.5 gallons @100 Cubic Feet

                7.48 gallons @ 1 Cubic Foot  (7.5 gallons for ordinary calculations)

                1 gallons = 8.34 pounds

Q. Can I receive sewer credit if I fill my swimming pool?

A. Yes, for the first fill of the year—please call our water office at 637-7186 ext. 319 for further information  regarding size, etc.

Q. I think my water pipes in the house are frozen, what can I do?

A. If you believe interior pipes have frozen, turn off the water at the main valve for your home and call a plumber.  NEVER TRY TO THAW A PIPE WITH A TORCH OR OPEN FLAME.

Q. Does Viroqua Fluorinate the water supply?

A. No.

Q. I haven’t any water at my home.  It is after regular work hours.  Who do I call for assistance?

A. Please call the Police Department 637-2121.  They will reach the utility department if needed.

Q. Do you have a Drop Box at City Hall to accept Utility payments?

A. Yes.  A drive-up utility payment box is located on the East side of City Hall’s parking lot.

More Information:

Please contact the Viroqua Utilities at 608-637-7186 ext. 313 or ext. 319 with any questions.